Alcohol and Drug Policy

Kalamazoo College's alcohol policy is consistent with state law regarding alcoholic beverages and its commitment to helping students be responsible adults. Students twenty-one years and older who choose to use alcohol should do so in a responsible manner and in accordance with state law. Irresponsible drinking may adversely affect academic performance, interfere with personal relationships, or result in illness, injury or death. Drinking should be a considered choice that displays respect for oneself and for the community. Information about the impact of alcohol and treatment of substance abuse can be found in the materials sent to each student annually under the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act.

Summary of Michigan Law

It is illegal to purchase, consume, or possess alcoholic beverages unless one has attained the age of twenty-one. It is illegal to provide alcoholic beverages to or provide false identification for a person under the age of twenty-one. (Refer to state statutes for the most complete explanation of the laws of Michigan.)

Kalamazoo College Alcohol and Drug Policy

  1. Persons under the age of twenty-one may not possess or consume alcoholic beverages, or host drinking in their rooms or on campus..
  2. No alcoholic beverages shall be provided to persons under the age of twenty-one.
  3. Regardless of age, no person may consume alcoholic beverages or carry open alcoholic beverage containers in the public areas of the campus. (Exception as noted in number eight.) Public areas include, but are not limited to, residence hall hallways, lounges and kitchens, campus buildings, athletic fields and facilities, and campus grounds. Residence hall suites and living/learning housing units are considered private residential rooms.
  4. Students aged twenty-one and older may choose to drink alcoholic beverages in the privacy of their residential rooms, providing they do not infringe upon the rights of others in or around the residence.
  5. Underage persons may be present when drinking occurs in a private residential room as long as a legal-aged resident of that room is present. It shall be the responsibility of the legal- aged resident to see that alcoholic beverages are not served to or consumed by underage persons.
  6. Single source containers (e.g. kegs) and "beer bongs" are prohibited.
  7. Intoxication and/or disruptive behavior related to substance use are prohibited.
  8. Outside of the residence halls and houses, alcoholic beverages may be served on campus only under the following conditions:
    • A College office or department must sponsor the event.
    • A College official must register it at least two weeks in advance with the Dean of Students.
    • The distribution of alcoholic beverages must be served and monitored by a Dining Service bartender or a member of the sponsoring department.
    • Only persons of age may be served.
    • Non-alcohol beverages and food must be served.
    • There shall be no direct or indirect charge for the event and no donations and collections shall be taken at the event.
    • Extra security coverage, at the expense of the host, may be required.

Policy Interpretation

The following interpretation is included to clarify understanding what is and what is not permitted under the alcohol policy

All residents of a room, suite, living/learning housing unit will be held responsible when a violation occurs in that space unless excused from responsibility by all other involved students.

Persons twenty-one and older:

MAY drink alcohol in their own residence hall rooms

MAY NOT drink alcohol in the residence hall outside of a private residence room.

MAY drink alcohol in another residence hall room if the host is twenty-one or older and is present.

MAY NOT drink alcohol in a residence hall room that has no resident of legal age or in which the legal age resident is not present.

MAY carry unopened containers of alcohol on campus.

MAY NOT provide alcohol to others under the age of twenty-one.

MAY provide alcohol in their own residence hall rooms to others aged twenty-one or older.


  • Charge in any way for alcohol consumption by others.
  • Possess single source containers.
  • Permit underage persons to bring in or consume alcohol in their residence rooms.

Persons under the age of twenty-one:

MAY be in private residence rooms where legal drinking is occurring.


  • Possess or drink alcohol.
  • Permit underage persons to bring in or consume alcohol in their residence rooms.
  • Carry opened or unopened alcoholic beverage containers anyplace on campus.
  • Provide alcohol to anyone.


Students who seek appropriate help for others who are intoxicated or otherwise adversely affected by alcohol abuse are considered to be acting in the best interest of the student in need. In most cases, if the person seeking help for another is in violation of the College alcohol policy, they will be exempt from formal disciplinary action because they are acting in the interest of another. The College desires to exempt the student seeking help from formal disciplinary action; however, as every situation is unique, these matters will be considered on a case-by-case basis to determine if extraordinary or unusual circumstances alter the desired practice.

The possession, use, distribution, or sale of illegal drugs or controlled substances, including but not limited to marijuana, LSD or any other hallucinogenic drugs, cocaine, Ecstasy, GHB, barbiturates or other depressants, amphetamines or other stimulants, or the misuse of any prescription drug constitutes a violation of federal, state, and municipal laws and College regulations. Further, the possession, use or sale of drug paraphernalia, including but not limited to pipes, and bongs, is strictly prohibited.

Violators will be subject to the full range of sanctions available to the College, including but not limited to substance abuse assessment, education, probation, removal from housing, suspension and expulsion. Violations involving the distribution or sale of drugs will lead to suspension or expulsion as minimum sanctions.

The College reserves the right to involve the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety (KDPS) in the possession and use of drugs or controlled substances. Should a student be suspected of distributing or selling drugs, the College will involve the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety.

Bicycle Registration Policy

All bicycles used, stored, parked or operated on Kalamazoo College property shall be registered with a valid Kalamazoo College bicycle registration sticker. In this policy 'bicycle' also refers to motorized electric bicycle and motorized scooter. Register your bicycle by completing the Bicycle Registration Form.

Bicycles shall be parked only in designated bike racks placed on campus. When parking your bicycle, don't obstruct walkways, railings, doorways or ramps intended for use by pedestrians or people with disabilities. Improperly parked bicycles may be removed and impounded by Campus Safety. Campus Safety shall not be responsible or liable in any way for lost, stolen, or damaged bicycles. Bicycles shall also be kept in good working order and shall not be allowed to deteriorate or become otherwise derelict.

If left unattended, a bicycle may be tagged as abandoned with a warning notice by Campus Safety. If the bicycle is not removed within fourteen days, Campus Safety will impound it without further notice. This abatement process is performed in student living areas and other areas of campus on an ongoing basis. Campus Safety has the sole authority to determine whether a bicycle is abandoned. A bicycle is determined to be abandoned when it is found in the same location over an extended period of time (generally two weeks or more) with any combination of missing parts, dust/cobweb covered, flat tires, and rusted chain. If an impounded abandoned bicycle is registered under this policy, Campus Safety shall make a good faith effort to contact the registered owner so that they may reclaim their bicycle. If an abandoned bicycle is not registered under this policy, Campus Safety will dispose of the bicycle after holding it for ninety (90) days. Campus Safety is not responsible for the cost of locks, chains, other security devices, or any other item that may be damaged or destroyed as a result of removing any bicycle. Campus Safety has no responsibility or liability to replace or make compensation for such items.

The College has the authority to sell, surplus, destroy, or otherwise dispose of any removed bicycle. In most cases the abandoned bicycle will be turned over to the recycling department for use in the bicycle loan program. If you think your bicycle was impounded for being abandoned within the past ninety days, please contact Campus Safety at to arrange an appointment to view the impounded bicycles. Be prepared to show proof of ownership and ID in order to have the bicycle released to you. Campus Safety has sole authority to determine the sufficiency of such evidence, and the determination shall not be subject to protest, appeal, or review. Prior to Campus Safety releasing the bicycle to its owner, if the bicycle is not already registered, the owner will be required to register the bicycle in accordance with college policy.

Bicycle Abatement Program

Campus Safety removes abandoned bicycles from racks in order to maintain an adequate number of secure parking spaces and thereby discourage bicycle theft. Bicycles may also be removed from bike racks which are being relocated due to construction. Bicycles identified for removal are posted with a notice informing the owner that they must remove the bicycle from its current location within fourteen days or the bicycle will be impounded. Simply removing the notice will not stop your bicycle from being impounded; only the removal of the bicycle from that rack will let us know that the owner has not abandoned the bicycle.

All impounded bicycles are then brought to Campus Safety for processing. The bicycles are held for a minimum of 90 days. During this time, an attempt is made to contact the owners of the bicycles through Campus Safety registration records to ascertain whether they wish to exercise their ownership rights.

If you believe your bicycle may have been removed and you wish to claim it, please contact Campus Safety at

Please do not leave your bike locked at a bicycle rack when you leave campus for an extended period of time.

Summer Abandoned Bicycle Abatement

It is strongly recommended that you arrange for storage of your bicycle over the summer. If your bicycle is collected as abandoned by Campus Safety during the summer break, it will be stored for 90 days. Those bicycles not claimed by their owners will be released Campus Recycling after that time.

If you leave your bicycle locked to a rack or other outdoor object after the end of the spring quarter, your bicycle will be declared abandoned, your lock will be cut and your bicycle impounded. Housing construction and cleaning projects take place during the summer and bicycles that are not removed from bike racks near the residences and other campus locations may be impounded as a result.

Campus Safety will charge a $40 storage fee if your bike is impounded during this period. You will not be reimbursed if it was necessary to cut your lock in order to impound your bicycle. Please make appropriate storage arrangements before leaving campus for the summer or other extended periods.

Drone/Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Use on Campus

It is not permissible for individual students, faculty, and staff or outside entities to operate unmanned aircraft/drones on Kalamazoo College campus, interiors, or exteriors. This is due to both Federal Aviation Association requirements, and risk management/liability issues.

Exceptions may be made for official institutional use or research/teaching use; those instances will be managed through the office of the Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students. The City of Kalamazoo Law enforcement agencies (including but not limited to City of Kalamazoo Public Safety, City of Kalamazoo Fire Department, or other first responders) are exempt from these guidelines. For questions, please contact Sarah B. Westfall, Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students at 269.337.7209 or

Appropriate and Prohibited Uses

UAS must be registered with the Federal Aviation Administration which can be done on the Drone Registration page through the Know Before You Fly website. You will also need to provide proof and a copy of the registration to the Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students for approval to operate the UAS on Kalamazoo College campus.

UAS is limited to one per person, office, and department on campus and may only be used between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.

UAS shall not be used to monitor or record areas where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy in accordance with accepted social norms. These areas include but are not limited to restrooms, locker rooms, individual residential rooms, changing or dressing rooms, health center lounge, and exam rooms.

UAS shall not be used to monitor or record residential hallways, residential lounges, or the insides of campus facilities including professional offices and building windows.

UAS shall not be used to monitor or record sensitive institutional or personal information, which may be found, for example, on an individual's workspaces, computer, or other electronic displays.

UAS shall not be used at College sponsored events (except College sanctioned UAS), following individuals on campus, and or delivering anything on campus.

The current unmanned aircraft rules remain in place until the FAA implements a final new rule. The FAA encourages new operators to read information on the Current Unmanned Aircraft State Law Landscape published by the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL).


Any violations of college policies by an individual will be subject to the Student Code of Conduct, or the relevant Faculty or Staff disciplinary processes, which may include disciplinary actions up to and including suspension, termination, or expulsion from the college.

Fines or damages incurred by individuals or units that do not comply with this policy will not be paid by Kalamazoo College and will be the responsibility of those persons involved.

Approved September 6, 2016 by President’s Staff

Fire Safety Policy

Fire safety is a serious concern of the College. The following regulations and policies are designed to protect every individual in the College community from the threat of fire. All members of the College community are expected to understand and abide by these regulations.

Building/Room Capacities and Overcrowding. Overcrowding in a facility can be very dangerous in case of fire. Please abide by capacity restrictions and leave an area in an orderly fashion if asked to do so by a security guard attempting to eliminate the overcrowding.

The Kalamazoo Public Safety Department Fire Marshall has established the following building capacity limits.

BuildingRoomCapacity Limit
Anderson Athletic Center (AAC) Gym Tables/Chairs: 1,289
No Tables/Chairs: 2,763
Crissey Residence HallBasement LoungeTables/Chairs: 65
No Tables/Chairs: 196
DeWaters Residence Hall2nd Floor-West LoungeTables/Chairs: 33
No Tables/Chairs:
Fine Arts Building (FAB)Dungeon TheatreTables/Chairs: 100
No Tables/Chairs:
Fine Arts Building (FAB)Dalton TheatreTables/Chairs: 403
No Tables/Chairs:
Fine Arts Building (FAB) Balch PlayhouseTables/Chairs: 299
No Tables/Chairs:
Fine Arts Building (FAB) Recital HallTables/Chairs: 160
No Tables/Chairs:
Harmon Residence HallFull LoungeTables/Chairs: 100
No Tables/Chairs: 300
Hicks CenterOld Welles HallTables/Chairs: 266
No Tables/Chairs: 466
Hicks CenterStone RoomTables/Chairs:138
No Tables/Chairs: 295
Hoben Residence HallFull LoungeTables/Chairs: 134
No Tables/Chairs: 286
MandelleOlmsted RoomTables/Chairs: 54
No Tables/Chairs: 116
NatatoriumPoolB 200?
Severn Residence HallLoungeTables/Chairs: 64
No Tables/Chairs: 192
Stetson ChapelChapel550
Trowbridge Residence HallMain Lounge-1st FloorTables/Chairs: 74
No Tables/Chairs: 223

Cooking. For health, safety, and liability reasons students may not cook regular meals in the residential system in place of a board contract outside of the campus apartments or the Living/Learning Housing Units that are equipped for that purpose.

False Alarms and Fire Extinguishers. Initiating a false alarm or discharging a fire extinguisher for other than a fire emergency is a violation of College policy.

Fire Drills. State law requires fire drills. The College conducts drills every quarter. Whenever a fire alarm sounds, persons are expected to leave the building quickly and in an orderly manner by the nearest exit. All windows and doors should be closed, but not locked. Persons may not reenter a building until instructed to do so. Those who fail to vacate buildings when an alarm sounds are first endangering themselves and others and secondly are in violation of state fire codes. As a minimum sanction, a fine of $50.00 may be imposed for failure to vacate a building.

Fire Exits. Posted building floor plans show fire exit routes and locations of fire extinguishers. Tampering with posted exits plans is prohibited. Fire exits or any emergency egress may not be blocked or tampered with in any fashion. Items, including furniture and bicycles, my not be stored in or near fire exits.

Fire Suppression/Sprinkler Systems. Attaching or hanging anything from any portion of a sprinkler system, including pipes and sprinkler heads, or activities that may damage or accidentally activate the system in any fashion (e.g., playing sports in a residence hall hallway) are strictly prohibited.

Fireworks and Explosives. The possession or use of fireworks or explosives on campus is strictly forbidden. See the Weapons, Firearms, Fireworks and Explosives policy on the Student Development website.

Open Flames. Open flames, including candles, are prohibited by the city fire code. Playing with fire in any manner, whether or not damage or injury occurs, is strictly forbidden.

Prohibited Items. A list of items prohibited for health or safety reasons in the residential system for safety reasons can be found on the Prohibited Items policy at the Residential Life website.

Smoking and Burning Incense. Smoking and burning incense (or other materials) is prohibited in all classroom, administrative, athletic, and residence buildings on campus. See the College's Smoking and Prohibited Smoking Accessories policy on the Student Development website.

Tampering. Students may not tamper with the following, including but not limited to window screens, doors, locks, safety devices, smoke or fire detection devices, fire extinguishers, exit lights, pull stations, sprinkler/fire suppression systems (including sprinkler heads & control valves), electrical wiring, outlets, fixtures, plumbing, telephone, computer or TV cable. As a minimum sanction, a fine of $50.00 will be imposed for tampering or damaging any fire safety equipment or system.

Sanctions. Violators of any of the above policies and those who endanger others will be subject to the full range of sanctions available to the College, including, but not limited to fines, restitution (including repair and replacement), removal from the residential system, suspension and expulsion.

Illegal Drug Policy

The possession, use, distribution, or sale of illegal drugs or controlled substances, including but not limited to marijuana, LSD or any other hallucinogenic drugs, cocaine, Ecstasy, GHB, barbiturates or other depressants, amphetamines or other stimulants, or the misuse of any prescription drug constitutes a violation of federal, state, and municipal laws and College regulations. Further, the possession, use or sale of drug paraphernalia, including but not limited to pipes, and bongs, is strictly prohibited.

Though legal in Michigan, medical marijuana is not permitted on campus property. The College receives a great deal of federal funding for student financial aid, and federal restrictions on marijuana supersede Michigan state law. Simply put, permitting medical marijuana on campus may jeopardize the ability of the College to receive federal funding. Because of this, medical marijuana is prohibited on campus property.

Violators will be subject to the full range of sanctions available to the College, including but not limited to substance abuse assessment, education, probation, removal from housing, suspension and expulsion. Violations involving the distribution or sale of drugs will lead to suspension or expulsion as minimum sanctions.

The College reserves the right to involve the Kalamazoo Public Safety Department (KPSD) in the possession, use, distribution, or sale of drugs or controlled substances. Should a student be suspected of distributing or selling drugs, the College will involve the Kalamazoo Public Safety Department.

Key Control Policy

Kalamazoo College’s key control policy is established for the purpose of promoting a secure campus environment and for maintaining a comprehensive system to efficiently manage the dissemination of keys throughout the campus. Individuals may be authorized to receive keys to conduct their work while limiting access where appropriate to ensure security as much as possible.

It is necessary to maintain key control to uphold the integrity of office and building security. This policy describes the procedures by which control, dissemination, use, and possession of keys to College facilities will be managed. Facilities Management and Campus Safety will gladly assist Campus departments with key control and facility access procedures.

Adopted by President’s Staff, June 2019

General Procedures

  1. Facilities Management and Campus Safety are responsible for maintaining the college’s key control system and for authorizing the dissemination of keys. College keys are Kalamazoo College property and may be recovered at any time. Unauthorized fabrication, duplication, possession, or use of keys to facilities of Kalamazoo College is a violation of this policy and employees found in violation of the policy may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination from employment. Non-employees, contractors, and others found in possession of unauthorized college keys will have their keys confiscated and the individual or individuals will be removed from campus.
  2. Those seeking a key to a college building or office must fill out a Key Form Request via the Campus Safety website. Completed online request forms will be forwarded to the appropriate supervisor for approval. The form will then be electronically routed to the Director of Campus Safety for final approval.
  3. Key requests will be reviewed by the department head and forwarded to Campus Safety via the on-line form submission for action, generally, within three (3) working days. All key requests to high security areas (e.g. alarmed areas) or where access is otherwise restricted will be reviewed by the Director of Campus Safety in conjunction with the relevant Vice President to ensure the appropriate authorization is received and adequate security measures are maintained.
    1. NOTE: Access to alarmed areas is strictly limited and is not authorized under any circumstances without the approval of the person who controls that area.
  4. It is the responsibility of each department to adequately maintain control over the distribution of department keys. Department heads are expected to comply with the key control policy and to insure that keys are retrieved from personnel who leave the employment of Kalamazoo College and return those keys to Human Resources.
  5. All persons issued Kalamazoo College keys shall at all times be held responsible and accountable for their keys and shall not transfer or loan their keys to another individual. Individuals must personally sign for their keys.
    1. Exceptions are provided for approved academic and administrative areas that share keys for common use areas and have an authorized policy to account for loaned keys.
  6. Appropriate administrators may request and delegate the issuance of keys only as necessary and in accordance with the Key Eligibility Criteria and Key Issuance Procedures below.

Key Eligibility Criteria

Master Keys

As a general rule, distribution of grand master and building master keys should be highly restricted. Master keys will only be distributed upon the approval of the Vice President, responsible for that area.

Keys will not be issued for doors that have card readers, with the exception of Campus Safety and Facilities Management for the purpose of responding to emergencies.

Key Request Procedures


  1. Keys may be requested for full-time and part-time employees of the College for the duration of employment. Complete On-Line Key Request Form.
  2. Obtain appropriate approving authorization, in accordance with the Key Eligibility Criteria.
  3. Submit completed form to Campus Safety.
  4. Campus Safety will complete a work order for the keys with Facilities Management.
  5. Keys will be delivered to Campus Safety and the employee will be notified.
  6. The employee will be required to sign a receipt for authorized keys in person.
  7. All faculty and staff keys must be returned to Human Resources at the termination of employment who will then return them to Campus Safety then returned to the inventory of Facilities Management. The employee's final paycheck shall be held pending return or clearance of outstanding keys.
  8. Periodic department audits of issued keys may be requested to ensure policy compliance.
  9. Requests for duplicates of keys that cannot be accounted for will not be authorized until a report is filed with Campus Safety.


As a general rule, students should not be issued keys to college buildings
or offices other than residence halls.
However, in some case where a student works for a department and access is required, an authorized department head may request a key be issued.

  1. Department head must complete the “On-Line Key Request Form.”
  2. Keys may be requested for no longer than one academic year at a time.
  3. Obtain appropriate approving signature, in accordance with the Key Policy.
  4. Submit completed form to Campus Safety.
  5. Receive and sign for authorized keys in person.
  6. All keys must be turned in at the end of the student’s term of employment and returned to Campus Safety.
  7. Requests for duplicate keys of outstanding (unaccounted for) keys will not be issued.
  8. Keys that cannot be accounted for may result in administrative hold on students’ records, course registration and other accounts until the matter is resolved.


Keys required by contractors or other non-college users to access areas on campus to conduct their work must be authorized by Facilities Management. All costs of key recovery or re-keying related to unreturned keys will be the responsibility of the contractor and/or his or her company to which the keys were issued and final payment for services provided will not be made until all issued keys are returned.

Lost or Stolen Keys

  1. Lost or stolen keys should be reported immediately to Campus Safety (ext. 7321).
    • NOTE: An incident report will be generated documenting the circumstances of the loss. Replacement keys will not be issued unless an incident report is completed by the person that lost the keys within 24 hours.
  2. Replacement keys must be ordered using the Online Key Request Form. Electronic signature of appropriate authorizing party must be obtained prior to submitting the form to Campus Safety.
  3. Charges:
    • Once a lock has been re-cored, there will be no refund for a found key. If the lock-core must be changed for security reasons, actual costs of re-keying will be determined by the Facilities Management and the cost may be charged to the department originally authorizing the keys
    • A request to have the lock-core changed can be initiated by a Vice President or Department Chair after consultation with Associate Director or Director of Facilities Management and the Director of Campus Safety

Building Occupation Notifications

In the event of a door re-key situation every effort will be made to notify the affected building occupants in a timely manner. The Office of Campus Safety and the senior officer for the affected location (typically a member of President’s Staff) will coordinate notification to the affected building.

Key and Building Security

  1. The individual to whom keys are issued is personally responsible for the use of said keys until returned to the College.
  2. Key holders shall not prop or otherwise hold doors or windows open or leave them unlocked during hours when the facility is normally closed.
  3. If for some reason you cannot lock a door with your key, contact Campus Safety.
  4. Key holders shall not unlock buildings or rooms for others unless the individual has a valid, verifiable reason and proper identification for access, or is known by the employee to have legitimate need for access to the room or building. Report suspicious persons to Campus Safety immediately.
  5. Key holders shall use their identification card to access any door with an attached card reader. The use of a hard key to unlock such doors shall be restricted to emergency access only.

Unlock Requests

In the event that access to an otherwise secured area is required, the following procedures should be followed:

General Classrooms
Building custodians are responsible for unlocking general classrooms.

High Security Classrooms
Access to high security classrooms is managed by card or coded access. Only those authorized by the person who controls the classroom may be allowed admittance. It is strongly recommended that access authorization be obtained well in advance of the scheduled use of the area.

  • NOTE: Campus Safety will not allow persons not previously authorized into a high security classroom without the permission of the person in charge of the classroom/facility.

Individuals locked out of their own offices should contact the Building Coordinator during normal business hours for assistance, and Campus Safety at other times.

  • NOTE: Building Coordinators and Campus Safety will only unlock offices for individuals assigned to that office. Requests by individuals for access into an office not their own will not be honored without the approval of the person who occupies that office. Exceptions may be made based on extenuating circumstances, at the discretion of Campus Safety, and upon proper identification of the party requesting access and documentation as to the reason why access is needed.

Residential Facilities
Most residential facilities are controlled by card access. Access to student living quarters is restricted. However, access into a student’s room may be needed for maintenance and/or other extenuating circumstances in accordance with the student housing contract and room entry policies.

Other Areas
In general, access into locked areas on campus must be authorized by the person in control of the area in question.

Key Card Access

With the exception of residence halls, most campus buildings and facilities are accessible to members of the campus community, guests, and visitors during normal business hours and during designated hours on weekends and holidays, depending upon the events and activities taking place on campus. Once buildings are secured, persons requiring access to administrative or academic buildings must contact Campus Safety. Under no circumstances will card access be granted whenever that access is determined to compromise the safety and security of the Community and/or College facilities.

Emergency Access

In case of emergencies (e.g. urgent maintenance, fire, etc.), Campus Safety and Facilities Management departments may need to enter a secured campus facility. Once the emergency is addressed, every reasonable effort will be made to contact the individual responsible for the area entered so as to advise him/her of the need to access their facility.

Missing Student Policy

In the event it is determined that an on-campus Kalamazoo College student is thought to be missing, the following procedures will be in effect.

Kalamazoo College will inform each student residing in on-campus housing they have the option to identify an individual to be contacted by the institution within 24 hours after the student is determined to be missing. Kalamazoo College
students will be allowed as an option to register confidential contact information in the event he or she is thought to be missing. Kalamazoo College students residing in on-campus housing who are 18 years of age or older have the option of registering a confidential contact person by completing the “Missing Person Contact Information” below and return to their RA or the Student Development Office.

Unless an individual is identified by the students as indicated above, custodial parent(s) or guardian(s) will be the usual point of contact for any missing student.

If the student is under 18 years of age, and not an emancipated individual, Kalamazoo College is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian.

Campus Safety and Residential Life will make every attempt to determine if the student is actually missing or can be accounted for. Once it is determined that the student cannot be accounted for within the 24 hour time period, Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety will be notified and a missing person report will be filed with that agency. Campus officials shall notify the person identified by the student on the confidential contact information. If the student is under 18 years of age, Kalamazoo College will notify a custodial parent or guardian.

Motor Vehicle and Parking

Drivers are expected to review and have a working knowledge of campus motor vehicle driving and parking regulations. Regulations have been developed to promote driving and pedestrian safety, ensure orderly traffic movement, encourage orderly parking, and provide access for emergency vehicles. The Kalamazoo College Campus Safety staff has the authority to ticket and remove vehicles that are in violation of College regulations.


Parking tickets may be appealed within 7 calendar days to the Director of Campus Safety.

Appeals made after 7 calendar days will not be accepted and the appellant will be found responsible for the violation by default.

Registration of Vehicles

Student parking permits must be registered and paid for online using Hornet HQ. 24 hour on-campus permits for the academic year may be purchased for $120.00 per academic year.

Fall Quarter: $120.00
Winter Quarter: $80.00
Spring Quarter: $40.00

Commuter permits are $90.00 per academic year.

Fall Quarter: $90.00
Winter Quarter: $60.00
Spring Quarter: $30.00

When a permit is paid for a receipt must be printed and presented at the Campus Safety Office where you will receive the permit. Permits are limited.

Open registration: August 1st of each year.

First year students are not eligible for a parking permit; exceptions for the rule which are rare include a need for traveling off campus for health and an extended off campus work schedule. Authorization will be granted by the Director of Campus Safety after documentation supporting the need is presented.

Commuter parking permits
Commuting students must register their cars if they wish to park on campus. A commuter parking permit does not allow for overnight parking. A commuter parking permit holder is eligible to park in any student parking lot until 2am.

Restricted parking permits
Under limited circumstances restricted parking permits will be issued. Restricted parking permits are valid only at the athletic field lot.

Visitor parking permits
Visitor’s permits are free and must be registered using the Kalamazoo College student’s information. The Kalamazoo College student with the visitor is responsible for parking and vehicle compliance. The visitor’s permits are valid in all student lots except Trowbridge.

Admissions Guest/Visitors
Guest and visitor parking spaces are designated for admissions, if it is anticipated that more spaces will be needed temporary parking permits are available.

Faculty and Staff
Faculty and staff must register their cars if they wish to park on campus. Please review the faculty and staff information on the motor vehicle registration and parking information page. the updated employee parking regulations and online registration – under the Employee Parking and Registration Agreement tab.

Parking locations designated during the day includes Upper Fine Arts, Lower Fine Arts (south row), Facilities Management, Campus Drive, and parts of Trowbridge.

Request for overnight parking must be directed to the Campus Safety Office.

Parking Lots

The Upper Fine Arts, South row of Lower Fine Arts, Facilities Management lots are restricted to faculty and staff from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on business days.

The Acker Lane, Severn, Markin, DeWaters, and portions of Trowbridge lots are restricted to student overnight permit parking.

The Athletic Field Lot is open for both day and overnight parking and is restricted to cars with permits.

No vehicle shall be parked in designated no-parking areas, such as sidewalks and lawns, the middle of a lot, or next to a building, except for maintenance, or emergency purposes.

If overnight lots are full, arrangements for registered cars can be made with the Campus Safety Office to park in a restricted lot.

Cars with commuter permits may park in student designated lots from 6:00am to 2:00am.

Student 24 hour lots: Part of Trowbridge, Acker Lane, Athletic Field lot, and Severn.

Faculty/Staff day lots: Upper Fine Arts Building (except 5 Admission stalls), Lower Fine Arts (south stalls which face Humphrey House), Facilities Management, and portions of Trowbridge.

Commuter day lots: 6:00 a.m.-2:00 a.m., All student lots.

Hicks lot: Visitor parking from 6:00am-2:00am, Monday-Friday. Hicks lot is closed 2:00am-6:00am, Monday-Friday.


Vehicles must be registered in accordance with the schedule above. Having your vehicle registered does not guarantee you a parking spot.

Registered vehicles must properly display the parking permit in the lower right hand corner of the windshield.

Vehicles must be parked within marked spaces, those impeding traffic will be towed.

There shall be no driving or parking on sidewalks or lawns, the middle of a lot, or next to a building entrance except for maintenance, or emergency purposes.

The speed limit on campus roads is 15 MPH.

Designated spaces for Area Coordinators, Campus Safety, and Physician are clearly marked and shall not be occupied by others.

Students may not leave cars in College lots during an off quarter without authorization.

Sanctions and Payments


Violators of parking offenses will be fined $20 or $30 dollars per citation depending on the offense. Falsifying a registration, providing false information, or use of an unauthorized parking permit is a violation of the Honor System. Violators will be referred under the Student Conduct Code, and will be subject to loss of parking privileges for up to one year. One way five violations on Campus Drive are $75.00.

Violators who receive two unpaid tickets are subject to immediate tow without notice on the third violation and loss of parking privileges.

Parking violations by registered visitors will be the responsibility of the student who registered the visitor. Vehicles may be banned from campus for violation of one way restrictions on Campus Drive.


Parking citations will be paid at the book store located in the Hicks Center; unpaid citations will be billed to the offenders account.